play.swancraftmc.com

Lurking Tiger, Silent Disco

1 reply
Votes:
+906
Level 9
LEVEL 9
Untagged users
I am posting this not for discussion, but so that y'all know why I have been quiet.

I was in a discussion about people who prey on young folks on the internet and in online games with some folks here. A point was made that, here I am… a 48 year old man in a community of children and young adults. Should people question the appropriateness of my being here? And my answer to myself was, ‘yes, they should be questioning that’.

My own 13yr old kid doesn’t play on Swancraft anymore. Even when he did, we mostly did our own things. So there is no reason (as a parent) for me to be here. And although I’ve always been (and likely always will be) the kind of person that enjoys building with LEGOs, and therefore also with Minecraft, I am in a multiplayer community here.

I think my discomfort over this appropriateness came to a head when I ended up in a Discord chat channel alone with an one of the staff here, who was at the time, an 11 year old girl. Don’t get me wrong… she’s a great kid… but really loud warning bells were going off in my head. Like, would I be okay with this if she was my kid? The answer is certainly no.

I do like the add-ons and world that Siuan has built in this server. I don’t have to worry about people destroying my creations. I can get around easily. With my shop running, I always have currency to be able to buy anything I need and I have more claim blocks than I will ever use. So I intend to stay and build things when it interests me… I still like building pixart, as an example. I intend to upkeep my shop, largely as a place to sell pixart and keep myself in funds so I don’t have to farm materials. Sure I could do a lot of this in a single player creative server, but I guess I am the person that goes to a coffee shop to read alone.

So… I will not be communicating with anyone in the community. No matter how trustworthy the person is, I wouldn’t want my kid chatting with some 48 year old slacker dude on the internet, so I can do no less myself to safeguard others people’s kids and relatively naive young folk. I don’t intend this as a point of discussion or a condemnation of others that don’t believe this to be the right choice. I do have chat on (since you are an entertaining bunch), but outside of required communication with staff members over rules violations and server business, I won’t be responding to anyone. This is simply my decision, so please respect this.

There are a couple of years of friendships I’ve made with people from every walk of life through this community and some of those friendships have even bled out of the community. Freya, Siuan, Lune, Charisma, Monie, Bear, Lonar, Zyp, Jose, Theos, Crunk, Era, Elle, Obby, Louie, Apple, Joe, Duck, Keith, Sweetie, Ants, Nessa, Ratty, Panda, Mario, Flare, Miriam, Gecko, Krazy, Ruven, Pirate, Spano, Twiz, Asger, Kev, Yuki, Tygrax, James, Lew, Casey, Ki, Rednil, Shadow, Caity, Michael, MrCats, Cook, Koen, Zoaz, Dola, all the members of Old School… I really could keep going… all you listed and so many more have made my game time very fulfilling and I will miss bantering with you all.

If any y’all are interested in chatting, I do have Discord on a lot of the time. But if you are a minor, or if I think you are super young, I won’t respond there either, sorry.

Cheers,
Kerby Talbert
aka The Tiger aka The Lag aka Disco_Nectar

P.S. Yes, I do see the irony of becoming a 48 year old creeper on the server, but I'm seemingly unable to simply go cold turkey on playing here. When I do finally stop haunting Swancraft, I will send out another message.

TLDR? I won’t be responding to the community, but will still be building here.
Posted Feb 9, 19 · OP
Love
Informativ...
List
Undo
Votes:
+906
Level 9
LEVEL 9
Untagged users
Could a forum moderator please lock this post, as I really don't intend to start this as a discussion. Thanks - Disco.
Posted Feb 9, 19 · OP · Last edited Feb 9, 19 by Disco_Nect...
Love
List
Undo
NoticeNotices